18 October 2008

The Starting Point: from "Prospectus"

On Man, on Nature, and on Human Life,
Musing in solitude, I oft perceive
Fair trains of imagery before me rise,
Accompanied by feelings of delight
Pure, or with no unpleasing sadness mixed;
And I am consicous of affecting thoughts
And dear remembrances, who presence soothes
Or elevates the Mind, intent to weigh
The good and evil of our moral state.
--To these emotions, whencesoe'er they come,
Whether from breath of outward circumstance,
Or from the Soul--an impulse to herself--
I would give utterance in numerous verse.
Of Truth, of Grandeur, Beauty, Love, and Hope,
And melancholy Fear subdued by Faith;
Of blessed consolations in distress;
Of moral strength, and intellectual Power;
Of joy in widest commonalty spread;
Of the individual Mind that keeps her own
Inviolate retirement, subject there
To Conscience only, and the law supreme
Of that Intelligence which governs all--
I sing:--"fit audience let me find though few!"

          --Wordsworth

1 comment:

lover of beauty said...

A worthy aspiration, dear! And what a beautiful way to start.